I dug this up in my drafts folder, and it seems pretty ready to go- so here's a mildly editted version of my writing from last year.
In my (admittedly limited) reading on style blogs, I've encountered the idea of a "capsule wardrobe" for travel- that by packing clothes in similar colors, you can pair things together in different ways, and create a bunch of different outfits with a minimum of stuff to schlep around. So I decided to experiment with the same idea with tichels.
So here are 9 varied styles, all done with just 3 scarves. 6 of them all use the same 2 scarves. Looking back, I see I did none with just the blue scarf and the white scarf. So there are another several variations available, which could break up the similarity of some of these looks quite a bit.
2. The same 2 scarves, but with the smaller put on first, folded back over the second/larger scarf. The second scarf's ends brought up as a crown, and the smaller scarf's ends tied over my bun in a bow. (They could also be left down, twisted with the larger scarf's ends in the crown, or just wrapped plainly over the bun, or tucked under.)
3. Same scarves, braided together.
4. Ditto, with the braid brought over and around the bun.
5. No braid, but with the ends of the two scarves twisted together in two twists, and wrapped around the bun.
6. Same again, but instead of wrapping the twists around, they're twisted tighter, then bent to twist back around themselves at two lengths.
7. Three scarves, two put on as headbands/folded, and the ends braided together.
8. Each scarf put on just a smidge behind the other, then one end of each of the first two twisted together and brought over as a crown behind the third scarf. The rest of the ends are hanging (or could be stuffed back underneath), and could be secured with a clip, or a bow.
9. The second two scarves, layered over each other, and the ends brought up and over, each just behind the last.
The differences here are sometimes fairly subtle- but moving back and forth between combining different pairs of the three scarves in any of these different ways, with different profiles- I might alternate between an arrangement that has lots of hanging tails or braids first and then one that creates a lot of height, etc, to make the differences more dramatic. Switching which two scarves are used will also create more of a sense of variation.
Throwing in a fourth color scarf, or a couple of small embellishments (pin/headband/hairclip) will also make more distinction between styles.
Of course, do I listen to my own advice in this post when I pack? Almost never. Maybe some time soon I will though.