Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Playing With Accessories and Trimmings

This is going to be quite a picture-heavy post.  I've been thinking about the incredible things that you can do with some ribbon, so I put on a one-scarf turban, and played with some different pieces of ribbon (and a few other trimmings I had around).  I wanted to take a look at how much of a difference details can make.  I look forward to hearing your input.
Here's what I started with:

First, I did two variations with a narrow navy blue ribbon.
 I particularly like the criss-cross effect in this one.  I'd like to play with more effects in this style- keep your eyes peeled (at least if it goes plausibly well).
Then the effect of adding just one wrap around of different ribbons at different points:

 Finally, a very long, wider ribbon (this one's about an inch or more wide- you can see, this much of it really dominates and transforms what's going on):

And then a few other accessories, since I was already playing, and wanted to show some other effects:

Some of the differences are subtle, others, more dramatic.  How different would the look need to be in order to wear the same scarf two days in a row? I'm thinking that ribbons are a lot easier to pack than whole scarves, especially the larger ones.

Of course, I'm not that efficient or planned-out a packer.  I throw things into a suitcase, and therefore often end up bringing more than I quite actually need.

10 comments:

  1. The criss-cross is so cool looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the ribbon and other accessories really change the feel of the scarf each time! I love it :). My favorite is the look with the wide ribbon... but I'm probably biased because I seriously love purple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the white ribbon and the black ribbon - and the no-ribbon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I.e., the straight black ribbon. I don't like the criss-cross (or the wide bands - dunno, I don't think they suit your face).

      Delete
  4. LOVE This post Maya! You've totally inspired me to try using some ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of enhancing with ribbons. In Israel, there seems to be a HUGE amount of decorative things to put over head coverings (like, very slim headbands) that look like the broach-type beaded thing you have on in one of the photos, but often more decorative. As you know me personally and know that my main issue with covering is headaches, do you think that adding decorations like this will cause headache issues if I do decide to invest in one or two of those shiny pretty things? And by invest, I mean...spend fifteen shekels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that tied headband-things are unlikely to be a problem for you, but elasticized ones are a less-sure bet. If you wanted to do a shiny-thing that was even less likely to cause problems, I'd look into pins or even decorative belt-buckles as good ways to get shine without tension around the head (and elasticized headbands can do that- I have a few I've had to work on stretching out, and headaches of that sort aren't usually a problem for me). But my guess is that anything that you can tie no tighter than you already have the scarf (especially since the scarf will provide some cushioning, although not very much) shouldn't be a problem.

      Delete
  6. I love the addition of ribbons to your scarves and miss seeing your creations on Hat Attack!

    ReplyDelete