Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Maya and Hats

I'm much more comfortable with scarves than with hats.  Hats tend to fall across my forehead and give me a headache, for one.  For another thing, finding a hat that can accommodate my hair in a functional way is not so easy to do.  I can wear a braid with some of them, but it isn't always the way they're designed to be worn, and therefore some of them look pretty silly.  Others just don't provide enough head coverage.  So I have a handful of hats, but I don't wear them so very often.  It sometimes feels like a fashion failure- such pretty things, and I don't know what to do with them.

Recently, I found a nice solution that makes at least some of my hats a bit more wearable.  I remembered that my sister-in-law often wears a light-weight tichel under her hat, when she wears one (mostly to weddings and the like).  I've done that in the past, so that I could take the hat off when I wanted to- often a big success.

But in this case, I wanted to wear my sunhat, which is just  a little big on me- so there was room to wear a scarf wrapped with both ends up around the top of my head, one over the other, underneath it.

This let me wear my hat with the bottom of the brim propped up to my hairline, rather than cutting across my forehead, irritating it and cutting off my range of vision.  It also meant that I had a nice-looking tichel wrapped, if I wanted to take the hat off.  All together, it was a very nice combination.

It isn't a real solution to "how to make hats convenient for me", but it's a good step in the right direction- and very good for my skin, in this heat and sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment